Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Soul of Morvan



The piece that inspired me the most was The Soul of Morvan by Jean Dubuff. The natural colors, lines, and textures of the piece put it in stark contrast to the other exhibits in the museum such as the tribute to squares by Josef Albers. Made of grape wood and vines and mounted on a slag base, the sculpture depicts a person and small tree in abstract form.

The use of natural materials gave the impression of a sculpture with minimal human influence. The natural look meant there was minimal repetition of design. Each section of the piece was unique in its own right.

While interpreting the meaning behind The Soul of Morvan’s I found myself wondering the importance of the person and the tree. The large size of the person compared to the tree also seemed odd. After viewing the piece for several minutes I decided that, like the natural use of materials, the depicted scene was actually meant to be an interpretation of a natural everyday event such as a walk in the woods. Whatever the meaning behind the piece, its organic look caught my eye and made me realize that it is important to utilize natural colors, lines, and textures in my photography.

No comments: