Monday, March 8, 2010

Philosophy Rug # 3

The Hirshhorn Museum is one of the few museums I had not visited during my four years at George Washington University. When I recently visited, I found it to have some of the more interesting and thought-provoking pieces I have seen. The piece that caught my attention the most was the Philosophy Rug # 3 (not sure what the #3 stands for because I did not see #1 or #2, but nonetheless, I enjoyed this one.) Mungo Thomson created this wool rug in 2007, which spans nine feet tall and six feet wide. Woven together are vibrant color patches each drawing you in, to read a life lesson.

When you enter into the room the rug hangs directly in front of you and because of the variation of vibrant background colors and the color of the words on the color patches, your eyes bounce around initially not focusing on any one individually. What is interesting about the quotations is that each one is written in a way that forces the viewer to concentrate. With some of the sentences, the spacing is skewed so you cannot just skim over the quotes but rather have to decipher each one individually.

Each quote makes you think about life in a different way. I enjoyed reading each quote and trying to match them to a friend or family member. For example one of my favorites quotes was “life is too complicated in the morning.” Being someone who puts sleep as one of the top three things I love to do, I feel this fits me well.

No comments: