Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Next Floor


During my visit to the Hirshhorn yesterday I was most intrigued by a piece entitled "Next Floor" by Phoebe Greenberg. It was a film 12 minutes long that was a direct commentary on how we consume too much as a society. While none of my own photography focuses on meaning like that, I do think it's an important point to be made. The film is set in a building with an infinite amount of floors in which a group of scary dictators, royalty, and so on are eating a meal. The meal is one of the most grotesque things I've ever seen. The waiters who have a very devilish look about them continue to feed the group at the table until they fall through the floor to the level below. This continues for several floors until it gets to the so called threshold and the gluttons at the table just begin to continue falling from floor to floor, never to be seen again. Truth be told, I had trouble watching it because I was so grossed out. I think that's exactly the point though, to question how they could be consuming such repulsive things and be so gluttonous about it nonetheless. There in lies the meaning of this short film though, the over-consumption of our society and the inevitable breaking point.

No comments: